I though I would share with you my recipe for homemade insect repellent, it is getting to be that time of year. I hate spraying harsh chemicals on my children! So here it is, it’s quick and easy and will save you tons of money and stress! Whether you know it or not Lavender Essential Oil (not fragrance oil!) is a natural insect repellent. You can buy 4oz at Vitacost for about $4 after the FREE $10 credit. Now all you needs is a carrier to put it on your body. I go to the Dollar Tree and buy a bottle of there unscented body lotion 20 oz. I pour about half the lotion out and put in 3 Tablespoon of the Lavender Oil in and mix it up, gradually adding back the lotion I poured out. You can color it if you want with food coloring but I wouldn’t bother, Lavender hates color and it will just get bleached out in the sun. I keep a 2oz bottle in my purse, car and picnic basket. You not only smell good but are bug free. Nature does it naturally!
This should save you about $10 this summer and the best part IT IS ALL NATURAL! I am going to make a batch and give them away! This is a cute idea for an end of the year teacher gift or maybe put it in a mother’s day basket!
How to make your own NATURAL insect repellent:
What you NEED:
- Lavender Essential Oil (NOT fragrance oil) *Score a $10 sign up credit through Vitacost by CLICKING HERE*
- Unscented body lotion *You can snag this at Dollar Tree or Vitacost*
- Container to hold half of your lotion
How To Make it:
- Pour HALF of the lotion out into another container and set it aside.
- Using the half container of lotion that was set aside mix in 1-3 tablespoons of Lavender oil depending on how much lotion you have. 3 tablespoons would be a good amount for a 20 oz bottle of lotion.
- Gradually add the lotion back to it’s bottle.
HOW TO GET A FREE $10 CREDIT OFF VITACOST AND ORDER LAVENDER OIL:
Score a $10 sign up credit through Vitacost by CLICKING HERE. Once you sign up you will be e-mailed a code for $10 off your first purchase. Once you receive the code search for Vitacost 100% Pure Lavender Oil — 4 fl oz on their site. They also have fragrance free travel size lotions for $1.37 find it by searching for Earth Science Multi-Therapy Hand Body and Massage Lotion Fragrance Free Travel Size — 2 fl oz in the search field.