Funnel Cake is a delicious, light summer time dessert. It is easy to make and tastes delicious with an ice cream sundae plopped on top! Funnel cake is deep-fried that is why I did not make a big serving. It reminds me of popcorn in the sense, after the first bite you unknowingly keep eating because it is “THERE”.
You need to set up a Dutch Oven for the recipe or use a deep fryer. I put a bunch of canola oil in a stainless steel pot.
Canola oil for frying
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 to 4 cups milk
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Mix the baking power, flour, salt, brown sugar. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, milk and vanilla.
2. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Wisk for 2-3 minutes.
3. Heat up the oil to about 200- 350 F.
4. Now comes the hard part you are going to have to FUNNEL the cake batter into the Dutch Oven. I used my Wilton dessert decorator (which I use to icing cake). I poured the batter and squeezed it out in a circular motion into the dutch oven. If you don’t have one of these just spoon the mixture into a plastic baggy and cut a hole (pictured below).
4. Let the cake brown which takes about 5-10 minutes
5. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle confectioners sugar.
7. I added one scoop of chocolate-vanilla ice cream and some low fat whipped cream.